Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Stat-based dungeoncrawl (Part One)

Pic slightly unrelated but I just love this game!

As you probably noticed, I have tendencies to create lots of strange and twisted rulesets. Not particularily useful but still - I just love to do it! And maybe they are not as useless as I think ;) This time I think about yet another set of rules:
  • Stat checks as the most important aspect of the game. Stats used as base to hit, to defend (I still think about active defense during the combat - not very old school but reason is simple - my players want it so why not?), maybe even stats used as saving throws - or rather as a base for saving throws;
  • I'm not sure if the D&D-derived stats will be used. Maybe I will need more attributes to properly describe characters' abilities (or lack of). Remember lots of strange stats from Encounter Critical? Maybe it was a good idea, especially if stats will remain devoid any description (more ways to interprete things is always good);
  • This means that stat levels need to be increased during the character's level progression. Most likely initial stat levels will be determined randomly and their progression will be determined by character's class;
  • I don't know what about Hit Dice, Hit Points etc. Maybe this system will require total rework of the damage system. Just Save vs. Death sounds really nasty but may actually work... Must check it once I create some basic sketch of the rules;
  • What about the basic dice used for tests? I think I'll stick with d20. It's good, big and round :D
Will it work? I'm not sure. It will require lots of brainstorming but I just love to create such things. And even if not very useful, I will use it. Or die trying :D

Tell me what do you think about it. Maybe you have some ideas / advice?

2 comments:

  1. Quick thought: You mention level progression, but you wouldn't necessarily have to have levels at all. You could do something like Call of Cthulhu and other classic D100-based games, where - if a PC makes a meaningful skill check (or in this case a stat check) - he or she gets to roll at the end of the adventure to try and improve that skill/stat. Let's say Grok the Barbarian uses his STR 16 (or whatever) to bend iron bars and escape from a trap, at the end of the game his player rolls 1d20 (or 3d6, or whatever) and tries to get over 16. If he succeeds, he adds one point and gets STR 17. This makes advancement easy and quick to begin with, but progressively harder and slower as the character's power increases. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty good idea! CoC is one of my favourite RPGames of all time :)

      Thanks alot :)

      Delete